UPDATE: March 31, 2020
As of March 30, 2020, Governor Wolf’s ‘Stay at Home’ order for Erie County (and others) has extended to April 30. Read more now.
UPDATE: March 24, 2020
Governor Wolf has issued a directive for schools to remain closed for an additional two weeks and as of now students will return to school on April 9th. As a result, the Children’s Museum will extend its temporary closure through April 8th and in an abundance of caution has postponed all classes and programs for the entire month of April. In the meantime, with the situation changing rapidly, please do continue to check our website and Facebook Page for updates.
We recognize and understand that families may feel isolated while practicing the social distancing directives. In an effort to help families stay connected with each other and the Children’s Museum our educators have created a series of Facebook posts called Museum Fun 101. Please visit the Children’s Museum Facebook Page every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for tips and suggestions for enrichment and learning opportunities possible at home.
UPDATE: March 13, 2020
Due to Governor Wolf’s announcement to close schools across Pennsylvania, the Children’s Museum has made the decision to close to the public March 14th through March 30th. Please continue to check the website for updates.
Statement: March 1, 2020
The expERIEnce Children’s Museum is a safe place to visit, experience and enjoy. At the Children’s Museum we pride ourselves on providing a welcoming and safe environment for children and families to explore and learn through the power of play.
The cleaning procedures in place at the Children’s Museum follow strict internal guidelines as well as safety guidelines issued by the Centers of Disease Control (CDC) and the Pennsylvania State Department of Health.
The health and safety of every family is a top priority to us year-round. The Children’s Museum staff works diligently to clean and disinfect the Children’s Museum daily.
- Deep cleaning and disinfecting occur daily.
- Every staff member is trained to consistently clean restrooms, exhibits and exhibit elements, hard surfaces and all hands-on items daily and throughout the Museum using Hard Surface Sanitizer provided by Cintas, recommended by the EPA.
- Signs are on display at admissions, restrooms, family snack room, and birthday party loft to remind visitors to wash their hands.
- Signs are on display in the restrooms encouraging children to sing their ABC’s while hand washing to provide the extended hand washing necessary to kill germs.
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizer stations are located on every floor of the Museum.
- There are yuck bins located on each floor for adults to place a toy in need of cleaning.
- Staff are required to consistently wash their hands.
- Staff are required to stay home if they are ill or have knowingly been exposed to someone who is ill.
With recent news about COVID-19, we are taking special precautions and ramping up our already robust cleaning and sanitation procedures. In addition to maintaining our daily routine of sanitizing and deep cleaning, we have:
- Increased the frequency in which we clean and sanitize our exhibits.
- Added additional alcohol-based hand sanitizer stations to every floor.
- Purchased and stored extra cleaning and disinfectant supplies.
- Installed additional hand-washing signs at admissions, outside of restrooms, in the family snack room, on doors, in stairwells and within the elevator to remind visitors to wash their hands.
- Reviewed cleaning, sanitizing, and disinfecting protocols with Museum staff.
We are continuously monitoring information, protocols, procedures and follow guidance from international, federal, local, regional accredited agencies and organizations, including: the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Pennsylvania Department of Health and the American Alliance of Museums (AAM).
For more tips and guidance on preparing for COVID -19, please go to the link below. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/
Fun video teaching kids how washing hands removes viruses: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=40&v=2eqhw6yZk-c&feature=emb_logo
Thank you for your cooperation!